Working out or training ?
April 10, 2011 § Leave a comment
It’s not the worst thing in the world for someone to claim that they are, “working out.” In fact, if everyone worked out then our country would be in a lot better shape. ( Terrible pun intended)
“Working out,” however; can and should be taken to the next level. Working out usually consists of:
- Going to the gym and doing whatever comes to mind
- Not really sure what to do
- Not having a plan
- Haphazardly throwing different exercises together
- Doing the same routine year after year
Obviously, not very efficient.
Granted doing something is better than nothing. But it’s a far cry from ideal.
- Having a plan
- Understanding why you are doing something
- Having a purpose
- Utilization progression
- Making progress
These things take extra effort, but is necessary to see any type of measurable results. There is a science behind doing all of this and shows the importance of taking the time to learn these concepts or investing in a coach or trainer to help you with the process.
Brad Gatens, CSCS